Mobile usage is exploding. Currently, half of the world’s population of 6.8 billion people uses mobile devices. The trends are phenomenal:
- Adoption is accelerating as mobile devices become more affordable.
- The sales of mobile devices and tablets now outpace sales desk top and laptop PCs combined.
- Consumers are increasingly spending more time on their mobile devices; half of smart phone users spend more than 30 minutes a day using apps.
- Smart phone users downloaded 9-10 new apps every month; 2.6 billion apps were downloaded in 2009 and a projected 25 billion will be downloaded in 2015.
- Use of the mobile web is growing faster than desk top usage; mobile web users are more engaged than desktop users.
What do people do with their mobile devices?
- View maps, search or navigate
- View weather conditions
- Access social networking
- Listen to music
- Check the news and sports
- Check entertainment options, watch video or movies
- Handle their banking and finance needs
- Search for information about dinning or restaurants
- Improve their productivity
- Develop travel plans and arrangements
- Play games
- Communicate with others
- Decide on health and lifestyle choices
What do these trends mean for businesses in 2011? Companies can reach customers where they are by helping them meet needs, solve problems, provide entertainment or inform them about products and services near their current location. Business will need to consider:
- Providing both mobile aware web sites and apps for their customers.
- Increasing their expenditures for mobile marking.
- How to better provide their customers convenience and ease of use in their mobile apps.
- How to utilize the power of social networking in their apps.
- Ways to harness the enormous potential of mobile advertising.
At Common Sense we understand the potential impact that going mobile can have on your business. We are dedicated to helping our customers go mobile with state-of-the-art apps that are both efficient and captivating. Contact us and we will help you implement your strategy to engage an increasingly mobile audience.